|Nourishment for the Mind-Body-Spirit!||A unique Free 10-minute a week Newsletter aimed at developing all of You: 🧠 Mind 🧬 Body 🕊️ Spirit!|
In a world increasingly dominated by short-form video (i.e., the likes of TikTok) and digital only interactions, the timeless practice of reading (a book) holds the key to unlocking numerous benefits for our physical, mental, and emotional well-being such as:
- Consider reading as a free gym membership for your mind, providing cognitive muscle workouts. Engaging with a broad range of content can lead to mental stimulation, improved memory, and better problem-solving abilities, all significantly beneficial in daily life and contributing to life span cognitive activity.
- In addition to cognitive benefits, reading can act as a soothing balm for emotional health. It offers us a sanctuary from the stress and turmoil of daily life, helping to reduce stress levels, elevate mood, and foster empathy. These health benefits contribute to an overall improvement in our well-being.
- Reading is a form of Self-Care providing a haven for rest and rejuvenation. By immersing ourselves in the pages of a book, we can escape the pressures of the world and nourish our minds, bodies, and spirit. The reading habit can aid in sleep improvement, it can serve as digital detox, it cultivates curiosity, and provides relaxation by disconnecting.
INSPIRATIONAL: “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” ― Victor Hugo
There’s a general rule that says you can live 3 minutes without Oxygen, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.
For something so important as water, we generally are not well educated in when to consume, how much, all the benefits, and even alternatives if you don’t enjoy plain water.
Here are some useful tips and factoids associated with water consumption:
- Research has shown that dehydration can lead to decreased blood pressure, reduced flow of oxygen and nutrients to the brain, and an imbalance of electrolytes in the body, all of which can result in feelings of lightheadedness and a lack of energy.
- During the night, our bodies lose fluids through processes such as respiration and perspiration, with an estimated 300-400 milliliters of fluid loss in a typical overnight period, thus starting the day with some water is imperative.
- Drinking water on an empty stomach has been linked to a variety of health benefits. Scientific research indicates that consuming water first thing in the morning can result in increased metabolism, enhanced mental performance, weight loss, and improved immunity.
- A general rule is that you need 4-6 glasses per day, but specific amounts vary according to age, health, and exercise intensity, consult a physician if unsure how much to consume given your lifestyle.
- You can choose to consume cold or warm/hot water depending on preference provides benefits such as increased energy levels, improved metabolism, heightened alertness & reduced stress & anxiety levels.
INSPIRATIONAL: John 4:14 says, “but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
Western tradition says that black cats are an omen of bad luck. Here’s some background of how this tale started:
- Maybe a surprise, or not, it originates from perceptions by the Catholic Church. Pope Gregory IX on June 13, 1233 declared that black cats were an incarnation of Satan, in official church documents (Vox in Rama).
- Cats and witches were seen as threats by the Early Christian Church in medieval Europe given a strong association to Satan.
- Thusly the famous “the black bat crossing your path” superstition comes from the associations of witches and cats to the occult, and in particular to Satan.
INSPIRATIONAL: Ephesians 6:12 says, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
Thank you for reading,
Edgar S. Martinez